This meal brought about the usage of positive profanity. For starters, it was Mexican inspired and didn’t include cilantro.
Jalapeno and Herb Roasted Tempeh and Broccoli. Served with red quinoa, black beans, carrots and fresh tomatoes.
Jalapeno and Herb Roasted Tempeh and Broccoli
Adapted from Jalapeño Roast Chicken with Baby Broccoli
Book: Marcela Valladolid’s “Fresh Mexico,” Clarkson Potter, 2009
Makes 4 servings
Frankly, I was googling “jalapeño” and “broccoli” for utilization.
The end result were these hearty, entrée-sized pieces of tempeh immersed in a savoury broth, flavored with the warm spice of jalapeños, and brightened with fresh basil. Broccoli florets are added to this gathering of green ingredients towards the end of roasting.
Ingredients for Paste:
- 1 small shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or handful of fresh)
- handful fresh basil
- 1 jalapeno – stemmed and de-seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- generous amount of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- pinch nutritional yeast
Ingredients for Broth:
- 1 cup ‘chicken style’ broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 16 ounces tempeh, sliced into large triangles (halved if 8 ounce squares, for example)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 bunch of broccoli, divided. Slice the stalks thinly.
- fresh, sliced tomatoes
- fresh torn basil or oregano
- steamed grains, such as quinoa
- savoury black beans
- serve in a burrito or over pasta
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Add all liquids into 9×13 glass casserole dish. Carefully stir the pureed mixture into the large glass baking dish.
- Immerse the tempeh triangles into the liquid. Immediately flip over.
- Add the sliced jalapeno and bake for 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 400F. Remove the dish from the oven.
- Use a spatula to flip the tempeh pieces over. Add a spoonful of the baking liquid on top of each.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Add the broccoli and drizzle with additional baking liquid. If you are low on liquid, add a few tablespoons of additional broth.
- Roast an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve as desired.