I picked up a sugar pie pumpkin from the coop yesterday with two goals. Today, I’ll open up about the first: Pumpkin Syrup.
I’m one to seek out a vegan-friendly pumpkin latte or two, or milkshake, during my favorite season, and one to wonder, “Where aren’t there more classy pumpkin cocktails?”
Pumpkin, seasonal spices and brandy (or bourbon, or just insert your mocktail design here) just make sense. With this in mind, and eye-rolling over the multiple recipes for pumpkin syrups and sauces online that simply involved pureeing canned pumpkin with maple syrup and heating it, the following happened in my kitchen…
- 2 cups of cold water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin*
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick (you’ll be removing this after cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Combine everything, except for the maple, in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 30 minutes. Gently stir, occasionally.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Carefully remove the cinnamon stick. Even more carefully, transfer to a blender, and puree until smooth. Be sure to let it cool, somewhat, or let the blender breathe so you don’t have an autumn explosion on your hands.
- Transfer to a bottle or jar, and refrigerate in between use.
Use this sauce to sweeten your tea, incorporate into cocktails, bribe your friends for favors in the 10th and 11th months of the year, and smuggle into local coffeeshops.
Notes, etc: I purposely made this syrup light. Again, I didn’t want a heavy pumpkin puree or a syrup I needed to constantly shake. Nor, did I want a heavily spiced syrup. If you want something thicker, use more pumpkin. Like it spicy? Add more spices, and consider adding freshly grated ginger.
*I didn’t want to use raw or soft pumpkin, so I roasted it for 20 minutes at 400F, and let cool before use. I can’t break down all the scientific sense as to why this made more sense to me, it just did.
Pumpkin Tempeh Chili with Roasted Smoky Seeds & Pumpkin Apple Brandy Sipper