…because sometimes I say yes (and I’m forever baking cookies). Continue reading
Portland has crowned its first VEGAN IRON CHEF: Qausu AsaaseYaa!
- Wes Hannah from Blossoming Lotus, assisted by Talha Abubakr
- Aaron Adams from Portobello Vegan Trattoria, assisted by John McPhillips
- The winning team of Qausu AsaaseYaa from Asaase Ital Palace, assisted by Paapa Wastiq
I’ll repeat for a 104th time, this was a miniature, super dedicated volunteer organized, low budget version of the event we’d like to put together next year. Try Vegan PDX is so proud of everyone’s hard work and was thrilled to see this happen!! We had last minute emergencies, we had a small space, we had an overheated projector, we had electric burners set up on tables, and yet, the awesome of Vegan Iron Chef prevailed!!!
Thanks to all who came to the sold out event, participated, cheered, volunteered, hosted, ran around, designed, sponsored, took photos, recorded – Tim Kahn!!!!, donated, gave sporadic hugs, competed & live-streamed, bought raffle tickets & everything else! We had almost 1,000 folks around the world tune in, on top of our sold out audience!
Subscribe to our new Youtube channel and stay tuned to our Facebook for updates! We’re hoping to have video up soon, for now, you can watch Qausu’s crowning moment by our phenomenal host, Michelle Schwegmann, our enchanting Alton Brown/Vegan Food Guru Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and our adorable trophy girl, Alicia Cruz of Taqueria Los Gorditos. This finale video is courtesy of one of our Executive Sponsors, Lightlife.
The inspiring dishes:
Asaase Ital Palace:
- Caramelized Plantains And Chocolate Coconut Sauce With Microgreens
- Chocolate Groundnut Stew With Onion Rice
- Gari Peanut Candy Hearts With Cashew Chocolate Cream And Berries
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Red Lentil Dahl with Strawberry Chutney and Mole
- Tofu Tempeh Chorizo Lettuce Wraps
- Raw Avocado Cacao Pudding Over Orange Slices
Portobello Vegan Trattoria:
- Tempeh Date Skewers In Citrus Marinade with Chocolate Merlot Sauce
- Chocolate Gnocchi With Collards and Shiitakes
- Caramelized Banana Tart with Chocolate Ganache And Fleur Del Sel
Onto more photos:
More and more and more on the slideshow!
Special Thanks to our Top Sponsors:
We’re already discussing who we’d love to see compete next year, when Qausu defends her title!